Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The rain cometh

The cold wet weather is now upon us, but we did a remarkable job of getting the house sealed up and weatherproof beforehand. In early September, I built a new back deck on the main floor. The deck is about 200 sq ft in size and has a solid railing around it.

Soon after the deck was framed though, the weather turned cold and wet and I didn't expect to get the fibreglass coating on. But in late September, we had another warm spell that lasted long enough for me to get it completely finished! What a relief - 3 decks rebuilt and fibreglassed in one summer. I then really surprised myself by managing to throw together a set of stairs and a small deck around our hot tub, all out of old wood salvaged from the wood pile in the back yard. The stairs and hot tub deck aren't meant to be permanent (we intend to build a nice cedar deck around the tub), but I really didn't expect to get any of that done this year, so it's a nice treat to be able to come into the house through the back.

I also managed to get enough vinyl siding onto the front of the house to keep it dry (and probably please the neighbours, since even old vinyl siding is better than raw plywood). I scavanged the siding from the side of the house that butts up against the next door neighbour's house, so it won't be missed. That side of the house can't be seen and never gets wet.

Now that the weather is decidedly colder and wetter, and the days shorter, it's time to move the work inside again. I still have to get heat wired up in most of the rooms - right now, only the dining room has a working heater. I also have to finish putting the drywall mud onto the family room and living room. And I have vowed to put some effort into the attic - Arielle has been living in a 1/3 finished room for far too long!

No comments: